Here is a simple test to see if you have a condition similar to misophonia.
1. Am I upset by loud noises more than quiet/soft noises. Yes / No
2. I am upset mostly by noises that won’t stop, like traffic. Yes / No
3. I am afraid (actually feel fear) of hearing certain noises or feel fear when thinking about the noise. Yes / No
Yes for #1 indicates hyperacusis or sensory processing disorder (also known as sensory over-responsivity)
Yes for #2 indicates a highly sensitive person. Irritating thing irritate you more than average.
Yes for #3 indicates phonophobia. In young children this may also indicate sensory processing disorder.
Test for Misophonia
1. Are there sounds that you cannot tolerate, even if the sound is soft? Yes / No
2. Do you instantly have a response to the sound that starts with irritation or disgust and almost immediately becomes anger? Yes / No
If you answer “yes” to both of these questions, then you have misophonia. How severe your misophonia depends on your answers to the next survey.
The Misophonia Assessment Questionnaire was developed by Dr. Marsha Johnson. Click on the following link and fill it out. Add up your the points from all your questions. The maximum score is 63. The higher your score, the more severe your misophonia.
Misophonia_Assessment_Documents-9 See page 2 for Misophnia Assessment Questionnaire
– 0-11: Subclinical (meaning you do not need treatment)
– 12-24: Mild
– 25-37: Moderate
– 38-50: Severe
– 51-63: Extreme
The A-MISO-S scale was developed by Schröder, Vulink, & Denys (2013). Here is the link.
This scale was created by Misophonia-UK.org. It rates the severity of experiencing misophonic triggers. Most of the individuals with misophonia would respond at 4 or higher on either the first or second part. The Physical Sensation part (second section) was written by Natan Bauman.
Fill it out and add up your points. They recommended the following:
0-4: Subclinical misophonic symptoms (meaning you do not need treatment)
If you have misophonia, there is help – there is hope. What you are experiencing today does not need to continue forever.